Friday, May 07, 2010

RAD and Testing...

Well my dear Ty did it again. Lately we've seem to have been doing lots of testing.... and, as every mom of a child with RAD will know is that one of their great attributes are the art of manipulation and of sabotaging. He had a IQ test done as well as other school testing done to eliminate a learning disability.

Now, going into this I knew that he would play the test. He would do the opposite of what was asked of him, or not do it at all... or whatever else he chose to do that day. I made it very clear that he would try and control the test, that's what RAD kids do so well... so on a Monday a couple weeks ago the psychologist calls me to make an appointment with me to meet before she does the IQ testing, I had requested this because of the fact that I needed to explain what he would do, signs to look for, or what to say to have him perform better. She called on a Monday and I made the appointment to meet her on the Wednesday... While I was in the meeting with her, she pulled out his test scores and told me they did them the day before WTF???? Now I did sign the form to allow the testing to be done, but I was under the impression we would meet prior to. Of course, not knowing him she fell hook line and sinker. I actually LAUGH OUT LOUD when she was showing me the questions he got wrong... knowing full well that my son KNEW the answers for example she asked him what a thief was - he said a thief is a dirty pig. Also while he was asked what went together (apple, orange, boat, shovel... he chose the opposite, boat and shovel - because you can put a shovel in a boat. He did it for all of the matches, chose the ones that didn't go together - can you say OPPOSITIONAL. She assured me she was confident that he did not sabotage the test, that she was confident that she would have known if she was played.

Well all I can say is that when I came home and asked my dear Ty if he had fun playing the lady that did the test with him - he laugh, asked me how I knew. Ty Ty Ty!!! So basically his test scores are very low - the way it was done was by percentile and he scored at around the 5th - 7th. This is coming from a child that has a photographic memory he can remember the color of a car he saw 4 years ago.. or the name of someone he met once, he remembers details of events I completely forgot about, but ask him what a thief is and the boy will tell you a dirty pig! Well I guess you could say he was right ;-)

Now I'm going to go indulge in some ice-cream... with sprinkles !!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh, boy.

Bad little RADish.