Monday, September 17, 2007

A little adjustment update...



For the most part things are going fairly well and we are taking things around here day by day.. sometimes minute by minute.

Some moments are GREAT and I get chocked up just seeing my children together and other moments I am wondering where I am going to find the strength to deal with certain things. I, of course, wouldn't change it for the world, but some issues have been tough to say the least!

Ty is really having a hard time adjusting to all the changes (mom having been away, school and of course his new sister) and we are working really hard at getting him back to a safe place. He has had a few meltdowns since Tamaya's arrival, but they didn't go as far as they used to (which is a good sign that he *should* bounce back quickly once he is feeling secure again). We are going to continue to work really hard with him and hopefully this will be a thing of the past very soon ;-) I really feel for the poor little guy. His world has changed so much in these past few months and I know that his acting out is part of all the stress he has had to endure. Now that school has started and he likes it, hopefully the stress/anticipation of that will be eliminated a part of his stress and we can work on the new sister deal..lol

The day before yesterday in the morning Ty and Tamaya were playing so great together. It was one of those "wow" moments and I finally felt like both of them started to understand what we expect from them....until later that day when Tamaya awoke from her nap and all hell broke loose and neither of them were cooperative..lol (Yeah I can laugh about it now)

Tamaya is doing good. She is doing better here at home than she was at the hotel. I don't know if her feistyness will come out soon, or maybe being home has broke her of it.. (a girl can dream... right???!!!)

The only O behavior that is very obvious is her not letting me know when she is awake. I have to constantly check to make sure she is not awake and "waiting" for me to come get her. After the first sleepless night of co-sleeping with her and Ty. I opted to let her sleep alone in her own room. I figured considering we had done co-sleeping for almost 2 months and Ty would have a MAJOR problem if his sister was having "sleeping overs" with mom and he wasn't, it was better for everyone sake to have her in her room. I figured it was best to just begin where it would end up being anyways, and she has not protested going to bed once so I figure she must be OK with it.

She is still scared of the dog, but we have been doing "Misty-out" sessions for an hour here and there. Yesterday she played with Ty on the ground while Misty was less than a foot away from her... it's getting better, but she is still not comfortable around her, especially when the dog is hyper. She lets us know when she wants us to put the dog away so it's on her terms.

She is eating well and will try anything. We loved watching her expression yesterday while she tried her first pickle. The funniest part was when she kept taking bite after bite and with every bite she had the same sour reaction.

She's a ham, she is so full of life and my time with her really helped with our AT HOME life. There are many things she got to experience in Haiti that I believe prepared her for her homecoming. In Haiti we went to the supermarket... so she experienced carts, so when we went to Wal-mart it wasn't overload. (plus it was an early Monday run so the store was pretty empty) She is eating much slower and doesn't feel the need to empty her entire plate when she is full. Her mouth fulls/bites are now"normal" sized, she is no longer shoving the entire piece of "whatever" in her mouth. So all in all she is adjusting well. She is getting closer to Steve day by day, but occasionally will not have anything to do with him.

As for me, I'm doing well. I am mentally and physically exhausted, but I seem to be getting into the grove of things. My mom and sister left yesterday and I am hoping to concentrate on getting a routine started. I weighed myself and was surprised to see that I have lost 15 lbs since I left to go to Haiti. I am feeling much better health wise today so hopefully it will stay that way ;-)

I will get back to cleaning the house. My goal is to get the upstairs tackled today and deal with the laundry mound/basement tomorrow! I can do it, yes I can!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
The dog thing was a serious problem for us for about five or six weeks. It slowly tapered down to nothing. We also struggled with the-wake-up,-but-no-call-thing. Of course, our children learn to wait in the O, but it was heart-wrenching to go into the room to check on him, only to find him wide awake and just rocking himself. We encouraged him to call for us, but eventually settled for getting rid of the crib, and putting him in a toddler bed. Even then it took months to get him to just get up whenever he was awake. I feel you, sister.

Poor little Ty. Just love him to smithereens. We all have to make room for others in our lives, and it does shift the priority list. I am the oldest and I still resent my brothers getting ANY attention-LOL

Sue said...

Hey Candis, We went through the same kind of things (dog and sleep)when Ty came home as well. Fortunately our children are resilient and with love and patience they do eventually heal from their experiences. THANK GOODNESS, eh!!!

I am also the eldest. My sister and I have 9 years difference and I remember so CLEARLY her arrival..lol I think because of my experience as the "older sib" I am extra sensitive to his needs. I am doing everything I can to help my little Ty-guy get through this and make sure that he knows how much I understand what he is going through.

Sue
p.s. Thanks for your comments, I really enjoy them!