Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Nice to be home...

My Haiti experience March - 2007

WARNING... very long..lol (pictures to follow the story at some point today...)

I enjoyed my time, it was a once in a lifetime trip. I have information that I can give to my daughter that will be cherished I am sure. I really missed the comforts of home. Mainly power, showers, a running toilet. It rained most days and the night left everything damp and humid. My bed always felt wet. There was a smell that was less than desirable, I feel like I can still smell it in my nose and it make me nauseated. My pee-pee bucket in my room was HATED, but I preferred that to the potential of walking to the main house and be greeted by the local rats in the night.

All the comforts of home were greatly miss and of course I was home sick for my Canadian bubble.

I was a great experience to spend time bonding with my sweetie. She is everything and more than I could have ever expected. She was shorter than I expected and her face is so tiny. She has such a wonderful personality always laughing, and is so happy. She was so smart and listened to direction very well. I had to establish a couple ground rules with her to show her some authority, but she still loved me..lol. She has the cutest laugh, she sings away. She loved running around and when I told her no, she had the cutest grin. I got my chance to try and do her hair. I was impressed and it turned out pretty cute. She loved eating, she loved snuggling. She is a true little blessing and I am anxiously awaiting to share her with everyone here.

I am unsure if I have the traveling bug or just a sore gut, but hopefully it will turn out to be nothing… because hopefully very soon my baby girl will make her way home and I will never have to miss her again…because it was damn hard to leave.

Had I had to stay another week I would have opted to stay in a hotel. Or I would have come home for the week. I was done with “roughing” it. It was more than time to be here with Steve and Ty.

Day 1.

I got to the Ottawa airport to catch my first plane. For some reason the “mini” plane was frozen and still needed to be thawed??? It was delayed for close to an hour and I started to fear that I would miss my flight into PAP. Luckily, it arrived just in time. The plane had already started boarding. I met Ruth in the line. What a lovely women. We had been in contact throughout our children’s adoptions and finally met to start our trek to meet our kiddoes. We got on the plane. Got into our comfy first class seats and enjoyed, which seemed like a forever flight, into PAP.

We got outside the doors of the airport to the mob of people. We finally saw Denis, our “driver” and he introduced us to another driver he got to drive us. He was a nice man; we started our journey up to Kenscoff to meet our children. Once we got up to Marijke’s all the children greeted us. I waved to Tamaya and she waved back. She started running towards me and about 2 feet away she screeched and ran in the other direction crying. I was ok with her reaction. I really expect it from the reports I got of her being overwhelmed quickly. We played a bit of ball… then she ran away crying again unsure of me. For about 10 minutes later if she even caught me looking at her, she would cry. I thought for sure it would take a few days for her to warm up to me… BUT… Marijke brought out the cookies and let me feed some to the children and we were the greatest friends thereafter. What wonders snacks did for our bonding. J

A crib was set up in my room, Tamaya feel asleep in my arms that night and it was so nice to look at her and feel her warmth. She is so beautiful and perfect.

Day 2…

When I awoke, all I could see were Tamaya’s little eyes staring at me. She had her dolly I brought for her all snuggled up in her arms. It was too cute.

She was getting her bottom changes and was saying maman, maman. I tried to capture it on video with no success. As soon as I brought the camera out she stopped.

We had our breakfast together, then it was time for her “school” I tried to convince her to hang out with me but she really wanted to go. An hour or so later I peaked in on her and called her name. She said “maman, maman” and come running into my arms. What a feeling that was. I stayed with her a little while at “school” It was so nice to see her painting and playing. He teacher is a really nice women and she is so soft with the children.

I am in awww of her. She is going to fit in just perfectly at home. She is so great!!!
Tamaya’s mom came to Marijke’s for some money so that her children can write an exam for school. She had no idea I was there. We had a meeting together and made plans to go visit her and her family on Sunday. I could not believe I would visit her home. The place where my baby girl was born and could have been raised.

Day 3…
Today Ruth and I are going to go to Port au prince and meet up with Margarette. She is the director of the orphanage. I am hoping I will find out news on any progress as well as see if I can find some information on Ty’s birth family. I am also bringing an album of Ty in hopes that his mom will come get it at some point.

Our Driver was late. Apparently, his vehicle overheated on his way up the mountain.

We arrived at the baby house I tried to see as many baby’s as possible and take pictures for waiting parents. I probably forgot some, but I did the best I could. Margarette was not there yet and was called to see when she would arrive. Ruth and I sat for a while and waited and she arrived. I thanked her for coming to see us and explained my reason for being there. She was more than ok that I was there to visit. I showed her pictures of Ty and of course she thought he was gorgeous J I asked her if there was anyone or anyhow to expedite our file and unfortunately she did not have any contacts in that department. She did suggest I visit the woman at the Canadian embassy and see if she would call the ministry of interior. I thought it was worth a shot! We then headed to the big kid house to get some pictures of the children there as well. After our picture taking, we headed to the Canadian embassy. A guard that let us in greeted us. Then another gate, then security check only to be told to pick up a phone in the main lobby to be told NO.. she was no able to help us… It was worth a shot though.

Day 4…

We headed up the mountain to Marijke’s new construction. It was about an hour further up the mountain than her place. The drop off’s where endless. I am scared of heights, but these heights brought on a completely new meaning to fear of height. Holly molly it was not right. The roads going up where very bad, but we did make it and saw the construction, which was pretty cool. She will have a baby house, a couple school rooms and her home.

We went a mile or so further and visited a school. The children asked me questions in French. The main question was if I would bring them home with me… One little girl was too cute and so social. She kept on asking over and over… even after being told it was near impossible.

We drove up to the next school to see the children and it started raining. The children were all crammed in a small class room writing a test. We didn’t stay very long, but it was quite different.

We headed back down the mountain and headed to Mission Baptist a restaurant with souvenirs. I had told Ty I would buy him some maracas and wanted to make sure I had some with me when I came home. I was craving fries, but of course they were out (go figure) so I settled for a sub. It was so nice to have “real” food. The rice and bean thing was getting old. We started our shopping and I managed to find some books, a couple coloring book, and handbag that had some pretty embroidery of a tap-tap on it. There were no maracas inside so we headed to the outside market were we were met by the mob of vendors all looking for us to buy something from them. I only had one thing on my mind and finally at the last hut I found some maracas. I bought 4 of them for 8 US.. ;-)

We then went to the gas station to ensure we had enough gas to get to Robin where Tamaya’s Haitian family lives and also went to the grocery store to buy some groceries for her family. I thought it would be well used and appreciated.

I bought some dish soap, laundry soap, laundry soap bar, toothpaste, big bag of rice, of couple types of beans, soap, shampoo, balloons, balls, chicken bouillon, ketchup, spaghetti, cornmeal, 18 eggs, coffee, powdered milk, cookies, bread, peanut butter, grape jelly, cooking oil, hand cream, candles and toilet paper.



Day 5…

We got in to the vehicle, Tamaya was very unsure of it, probably the first time she has been in a vehicle and outside the gate of Marijke’s house. She cried a bit, but with a little bit of coaxing and assurance she managed to do great. We headed up the mountain on a very narrow and steep hill. The road was very bad. It had rained a lot the last few days making the holes full of water and in some places very muddy.

We arrived in the general area of where her Haitian family lived and asked around to see where her home was. We were pointed to a location, parked and got out. I immediately recognized her younger sibling and we went over to say Hi! Her Haitian mom was not there and we got the all the children together to take pictures. We took pictures of the home and were being checked out by the whole neighborhood. Her mom came to the house, and walked past us to the back. Marijke explained that she was probably going to put her stuff away. After a few moments Marijke went to talk with her and we found out we were at the wrong house, that it was her father in laws place. We went to the back to her place. Marijke got help from the boys to bring in the groceries. We were invited in. It was a very small, unmaintained cement home. It appeared to have 3 rooms. In the main room was a table, a bed and some kitchen stuff. I could that the back rooms also had beds. The scene was from a world vision commercial and I know that this place was better than some. The children were wearing rags, there shoes were falling apart, some had no shoes on. Some of the local children were half-naked and dirty. One little girl had some kind of infection all over her legs. I didn’t know how to react. Half of me just wanted to get into a little ball and cry. It should not be that way… no one should have to live like that. Despite the poverty they were happy thought. The little girl sang for us. I was told by one of the neighbors that she had breastfed Tamaya while her Haitian mom was working, which I found quite strange, but at least she had nourishment. She also gave me crap because Tamaya was sucking her thumb and looked at me as thought I was a bad mom because of it. Marijke’s quickly jumped at my defense and told her it was ok because she is clean. I guess it is a no, no in Haiti to be a thumb sucker..or at least a no no to this lady.

We went outside, the smell in the house was musty and outside was no better. The sun was out and starting to dry things up, but the smell of fesses was in the air. The children played with the balls and balloons. We got the family together to take some final pictures. I really wanted to have Chantaline in the pictures, but she wanted to be in my arms and would scream when I tried to put her in her Haitian mom’s arms, finally I got the snacks out and convinced her to stay long enough to get a couple pictures taken. I know that some day the pictures will be priceless.

As we were leaving I couldn’t help but think of what her life could have been. Would she have been as healthy? Would she had made it? Would she have looked sick like the little boy 2 weeks younger than her? I was grateful that I could provide so much more for her. I was grateful that I had my home, my life, my security…It was an experience I will never forget… ever.

As we were driving down the mountain we met up with my friends son’s birth father. He was invited to come to the house before 4. What a great coincidence, as we were unsure if she would have a chance to meet him.

Sunday night…

We walked over to a restaurant in Kenscoff, everyone in the town said hello and were very friendly. I didn’t know what to expect. I “thought” we were going to go into some little dive that I would later regret. When we walked in I was both shocked and amazed. It was so elegant, The tables were set just right, a Haitian band was playing the ambiance was soothing. I ordered a pepper steak (well done). There was a salad bar included and I tried a bit of everything. There were certainly different flavors… There was a plantain salad I was not too fond of, but the rest was ok. My steak was good. We made room for some awesome desert and enjoyed them so. One was a caramel something and the other a cream something… the cream one was probably the best desert I had ever had.

We walked back home in the rain. Rain, rain, rain. It rained almost every afternoon. L My friends birthdad was there and he was told to came back the next day. He had waited the whole time we were gone.

Day 6…

Ruth’s birthfamily came to the house. It was so nice to see another birthfamily experience. He was very grateful for the rice and snacks she gave him. Marijke gave them each a plate of food to eat. It was their first meal of the day. I showed them pictures of here and explained that his Haitian son would have a very similar life. The father was very respectful, he made sure all his children and wife ate before him and he even gave ½ his meal to his older son to finish. He thanked and hugged Ruth and was very happy that his son would be going to be part of her family.
I bought candies for all the staff at Marijke’s a Tamaya helped me pass them out. It was too cute. She was so proud to give them all to them.

For supper we had a Haitian soup. Jambou… or jamou.. something like that. It is a Haitian soup they usually make every new year to celebrate their independence. It was VERY good.

Day 7.

We had called our driver to come at 9. I was up before the light of day. I kept looking at my princess thinking it SUCKED that I had to leave, but yet I was really looking forward to coming home. I got myself packed and ready. Ruth had already been packed for days..lol ;-) Our driver showed up just on time. I had almost wished he would have been late this time, but I knew that I would have to say good-bye. I gave her some snuggles, hugs and kisses and told her I would be back soon. It was really hard to leave her. I gave her a final kiss as I cried my tears and got in the vehicle. I looked back and Marijke was holding both kids and they waved as we left.

We made our way back to PAP to the baby house. I needed to take some pictures for a friend. I was hoping to see Margarette and to ask her if my file had seen any progress, but she wasn’t there. I knew the mission team was in town and was hoping I would have a chance to say Hi to a couple people. I had a nice chat with a couple ladies that are volunteering in Haiti… then we headed to the big kid house to see the mission team. We said a quick Hi. I got to meet Krissy’s husband. He was hard at work and we headed for the airport.

Our luggage was quickly taken by a few men that wanted to “help” us. I figured I would just pay the stinken tip and have their assistance. I knew it was NOT necessary to have 3 men carry them and we did say we were only going to pay one, but oh well.

While I was in line, I met a RCMP that was training the Haitian police with the UN. It was pretty cool to meet him. He seemed like a great man and was anxiously waiting to go home and be with his wife. It made me miss my hubby so much.

I was so happy to be on the plane… actually, I was even happier to land. It was a long week. When I landed in Montreal it wasn’t much time before I got on to the mini plan to get to Ottawa… I was greeted by my very happy son and hubby… our first stop was to Wendy’s for a burger.
I am tired, my gut hurts and I am enjoying spending time with Steve and Ty… I enjoy my hydro, phone, my flushing toilet, my real coffee, everything.. Just enjoying everything. And Steve did that for 6 months… My hat goes off to him because I couldn’t do it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY Girlie!!
Welcome back! So glad you are back safe and sound. It really is a shame things didn't work out as hoped but she'll be home and in your arms again soon.
What a treasure to have her birth family's "family" picture.
Awesome!

Anonymous said...

sue,
What a lot of memories you will have stored up for your girl!! Sounds like the trip was definitely worth every moment.
She WILL be home soon!! She WILL be home soon! Keep that as your mantra for the next few weeks....

I hope Ty adjusted well to your homecoming and I'd love to hear how he did during his alone time with Steve!!

Patricia (who is heading to Germany in one (1) week with Douby!!)

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.payloansonline.com]payday advance[/url]
This is the best way to get all your health products online like green coffee, african mango, phen375 and others. Visit now

[url=http://breastactivescream.blinkweb.com/]Breast Actives Review[/url]