Saturday, February 03, 2007

This, that and the other thing...

Wow.. these past couple days where filled with fun and laughter.

Yesterday was the 1st day of the trauma therapy workshop. I found it very interesting. They talked about different trauma's that can occur and most of the time the therapy involves trying to deal with the event... In this workshop we do not deal with the event, but the trauma caused by the event. I left wanting more and wished it was a weekend workshop so I could get alllll the info right away.

I had a few things to read when I got home and after reading it I think the goal will be to foster trust in the hurt child. To re-attach. It's funny because upon reading that I had a lot of "Ah ha" moments.... which made a lot of sense. A lot of things in the article were very basic common sense things that unfortunately sometimes as parents we forget about. We seem to get so consumed with the child and the behaviors and spend so much time "thinking" about how we will fix it instead of looking at the child and just being there... present and doing things to foster trust so they can open up.

I like the fact that this therapy consist of 3 different stages. A. In class, B. parent and therapist, C. Child, parent and therapist. The "course" is not group therapy it is class information that we will use at home with our children and not personal sharing of events which I REALLY like.

We are thought to be the children therapist at home and given the tools of how to deal and heal our traumatised child.

This morning Ty had his support out troops parade with his nursery school. He had a great time and kept singing "we are the looosers" and everyone was in stitches laughing. Man oh man...

Explanation; This morning I was reading my regular blogs, (click to view- Dave's In my head blog ) and Ty was sitting next to me. It was a post on the famous group Queen. He had a you-tube of a live performance and my dear, dear son decided to try to sing the words... " I just about chocked on my coffee when he started with " we will, we will f*ck you" I gave him the hairy eye balls and explained that THAT was NOT the words of the song??? and it was rock you... then " we are the champions" song came on and he started singing "your such a loooooser" and of course again I told him it was "no time for looosers". I knew by the way he was singing it all morning he would embarrass the hell out of me and of course he did... how in the world do you explain that :-) I will try and coax him to sing it tomorrow and get it on video to upload to you- tube!!! He sang it allll day, alllll night and I even caught myself doing dishes and singing the champion song... Thanks Dave..lol

Ty NEEDED a nap this afternoon and I am so glad I caved and gave in. He was so much better behaved and much more rational. Tonight we even had a basement picnic and baked cookies (I let him do most of the work and you should see the look of these bad boys... the recipe was for 2 dozen and he made 6 cookies with the batter..;-).

I think I will re-evaluate quiet time and have him have quiet time in his room. It was really nice to have my "normal" Ty back and actually enjoy being his mommy. I may just make sure his naps are short.. no more than 30 minutes.

Today was one of those perfect mother & son days. The ones that make you sit back and say "YUP... this is what it's all about". I even had a comment this evening while we were out getting our subs that Ty was so well behaved and such an intelligent little guy!!! Of course I didn't tell her "it's about freaken time..lol" I smiled and was actually very proud of my little guy and his behavior! I told her that 'yes, he is pretty special and such a great little man" He then turned to me and said "Yup mom, and your cute" I can certainly take that!!!..lol

2 comments:

Dave said...

Now that the whole world knows that I am teaching little kids bad words!!! :-)


Today was one of those perfect mother & son days.

I am glad that you have opportunities like these! Enjoy them... memories of them will last a lifetime!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are finally starting the therapy - I can imagine the Ah-ha moments. Being able to step back and see teh tree in the forest makes a big difference...I expect in a year you will not believe the life you lived before...Ty just wants to love you with all his heart - and you will teach him how!!
I saw Marcia's Likenson on Sat - what a cutie and I would say on-par attachment - marcia and monika left the room momentarily while he was sitting on my lap and he immediately started to howl - he stopped as soon as he saw them again. He is curious and very good with his hand-eye coord already. I can imagine your girl is going to be exactly the same!

Patricia