Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How Sue met Steve...

As a teen, I spent most of my days being rebellious. I had my OWN opinions and made them known to everyone that "thought" they had any authority. I had fun with my friends driving around the city, listening to the "in" music blasted on the chevette stereo. We just had to find the next big party, smoked, drank. Didn't do anything that I thought was a waste of time, including school. I can't even count how many times I was kicked out, or dropped out of school. I ran away from home so many time. I had even made plans to run away and leave town, luckily my dear parents caught me. I dated some pretty messed up guys with no future and even moved in with one for about 6 months...living on beer, Kraft diner and cheap smokes.
My dear father has always said "Sue you didn't hang around with the bad crowd, you we're the bad crowd"..lol... (love ya dad). To say the least I put my dear parents through hell. Thank goodness for unconditional love :-)

This seemed to all change when I met my Steve. I was 17, he was 19. All my friends we're graduating and I refused to go to the prom alone (even though I wasn't even close to being a grad I had to at least celebrate with my friends that had) One of my friends, Chris had hooked me up with this guy. I wasn't attracted to him physically, but he was a nice guy.... so why not, at least I was going with someone. Well I get a call saying he caught the chicken pox!!! lol, in sheer panic I call another girl friend, Carole and tell her about my problem. She eventually says, "We have a friend Steve, he's a good guy, works & he even watched Days of our live (which is/was my soap opera)...let Clermon (her boyfriend) call him and see what we can do. I knew all of her boyfriend Clermon’s friends and refused to go with any of them, but I didn't "know" Steve...maybe he would be different? The next day Carole calls me and tells me she's on her way to get me. I had just jump out of the shower, put some cloths on barely brushing my long hair to jump in the car to be told he is at her house waiting to meet me.... what??? PANIC CITY. I get to her place and there he is; the most handsome person I had ever met. He was so hot, cute and yummy. The social butterfly that I am got quiet and couldn't do anything but blush and say a faint hello. I sat across from him; we couldn't look at each other. I would sneak a peak every time he would turn away (I think he was doing the same too) He didn't stay long, he left and his friend Clermon went down stairs with him. My friend Carole starting asking me a million questions.. being the cool chick I was I wasn't going to admit I thought he so hot, and THE ONE! I said in my cool ways.."He's alright, pretty cute… I guess" (maybe a coping mechanism just in case he wasn't into me?) So finally her boyfriend comes up and we we're all waiting for the scoop.... and what did he say???? "ya he'll go to prom with you, he thinks your cute" well that was it for me, I was literally like a school girl with my biggest crush ever. In some ways, I felt like he was too good for me. Why would a good guy date me?
In so many ways I am grateful for my love, he has really been a rock for me. Someone I have always admired. Once we got to talking he put things into perspective for me. I was so in love and he didn't want a "bad girl" he wanted a respectable person in his life. He would not be with a high school drop out, he told me to get my ass back in school and to smarten up, when I would disrespect my parents he told me to get a gripe and treat them right. I wanted to be good :-) not only for Steve, but it was really about time. Steve had dreams and goals in his life, he wanted someone with some aspirations too. He really helped me to see the potential I had. He motivated me and encouraged me to be the best I could be and with his love and commitment I have flourished into a women I am proud to be!!

*I am so thankful to my parents that stood by me during my rough times as a teen. I'm grateful for their unconditional love, their patience and their devotion to their children. I love you mom and dad Thank you!!!
*I’m happy the “other date” came down with the pox!
* Grateful for my friends Carole and Clermon to have thought of Steve as a potential date…
*Most of all I am grateful for being blessed with having the greatest man in the world as my husband, life partner and father of to our children. I can honestly say life would not be the same without him. I love you and miss you so much my love. Thank you for being the wonderful man you are. xoxoxox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey sue when you were telling your story you know what i thought of remember when he went shopping the day of the prom you thought he stood you up cause he took all day shopping god did we ever crack up. steve you girly guy like i call my friend charlie. me and clermont love you guys we miss you and we are so happy for you guys give ty a kiss for us hope we can get t o see you guys soon