Monday, September 04, 2006

Wake up call

I got the greatest wake up call. My dear Steve woke me up at 8:00am (5pm his time) For obvious reasons he can't tell me too much, but his voice was proud. In our 5 min conversation I found out that he had received our packages, which really surprised me because I thought he wouldn't get them until he was on camp, but I guess with the re-supply they we're brought to him, pretty cool!!! He now has his Sweet Chilly Doritos (they made it safe and sound), a couple fishing & snowmobile magazines, beef jerky, some candy, pictures and art work from Ty.
Hearing how much a little piece of home meant to him, encourages me to send him some more stuff :-), I have a box ready to go with some foot/shoe powder, candy, peperettes & a few other odds and sods. I also write him a daily journal and will send him that as well... lots of reading for him... hahaha. I also made a card; I gave one to Ty (told him he got a letter from papa) and also have one for Steve (world's greatest dad)
They've been pretty busy firing the gun. He sounded like the young private I once knew that loved being a soldier, loved the guns & was full of piss and vinegar. I of course told him how proud we all are of him and that we support him 100%. He feels safe where they are. I asked him if he slept in a tent..no. They have a tarp over their cots and, well that's home..... in the middle of the dessert!!!
It was really nice hearing from him, even if only for a few minutes. I actually feel satisfied with the 5 minutes, I don't feel like I have a million things I "forgot" to tell him. LOL, probably because I don't have much going on with my life :-)
He did however let me go fast; "did you hear that" he says as I hear the BOOOM of the artillery.. I mutter "ummm ya?" "Gotta go" he says.. I tell him "STAY SAFE, WATCH YOUR BACK, WE LOVE YOU" in the fastest way I possibly can. "Love you too, bye" he says as we hang up.

No comments: